A big present in a little box…
Greetings blog readers! It’s about that time again… time for the SharePoint Ninjas at Fpweb.net to find yet another way to give back to our loyal customers. We are always listening to client feedback – and requests for added functionality within our SharePoint 2010 Hosting plans, constantly exploring the feasibility of implementing these features for you.
One such feature request was adding the ability for end users to change their own SharePoint site passwords. If you’ve been a SharePoint hosting customer with us since the old WSS 3.0 days, you may recall that this functionality was built into the v3 product. Unfortunately, in order to make our multi-tenant SP 2010 Foundation plans scalable and FLEXible – we had to configure the dedicated SharePoint Server 2010 farms in such a way that this functionality was removed.
The New Fpweb.net Site Collection Password Change Feature
Behold the official unveiling of our shiny new site collection feature named; you guessed it, Fpweb.net Password Change Feature!!!!
Now if you are done cheering, let’s go over how it works.
NOTE: this is only available on our 2010 Foundation Starter and Foundation Group plans.
Site Collection Administrators:
- If you are a site collection administrator go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Site Collection Features
- Find the feature called “Fpweb.net Password Change Feature” as shown above. Click Activate.
- That’s it for the configuration! Easy huh?
Once the site collection feature is activated:
- Click on your username in the top right corner of the SharePoint web site.
- Click Change Password.
You’ll see a modal dialog popup.
Once you have filled out the form and clicked Change Password, you’ll see one of the following status messages.
- Everything went as planned. Your password was changed any you can use the new password next time you login.
- Your password did not change because you entered in the wrong old password.
- Your password did not change because of a server error. Please contact support.
We hope you enjoy this new SharePoint feature and find it useful. As always, we value all feedback you provide so please continue to share other great ideas that will help us serve you better!