SharePoint Repeats Prompting for Credentials
Published by Fpweb.net Crew on June 23rd, 2011
Why am I always prompted for my login when I open a file from a SharePoint library?
This is a common question that our SharePoint support team receives, so we wanted to share a couple of options to help improve the functionality and usability of your dedicated SharePoint Server or Foundation 2010 system within your Windows OS.
- Option #1: Use your current network/domain login to authenticate
- In your Internet Explorer “Internet Options” menu, add your SharePoint site URL to the list of Intranet sites and change the setting in IE Security Settings from “Automatic logon only in Intranet Zone” to “Automatic logon with current username and password“.
This will stop the pop-up credentials request windows.
- Option #2: Disable the IE security functionality (as listed below )
- NOTE: This will remove the security feature in IEStep-by-step instructions: a. Select Tools » Internet Options » Security
b. Select “Local Intranet”
c. Select Advanced
d. Enter in your SharePoint domain » ADD
- Option #3: Are you using Windows Vista or Windows 7?
- Follow this Microsoft Support Tutorial!