Microsoft SQL Server 2016 provides advanced enterprise data protection with built-in security features to help safeguard your organization’s data. SQL uses multiple layers of security:
- Robust auditing
- Transparent data encryption
- Dynamic data masking
- Row Level Security
- Always encrypted technology
SQL Server 2016 will secure data for mission-critical workloads and protect stored and inactive data. NIST has named SQL the database with the least vulnerabilities of any major platform six years in a row. Here are a few highlights from the 2016 version:
- Automatically encrypts data both at the time it’s created and when it’s used by approved applications
- Protects data that isn’t in use, ensuring all data files are encrypted and cannot be attached or restored to another server
- Supports Transport Layer Security, shielding data in transit and providing defense against tactics such as man-in-the-middle attacks
SQL Server 2016 includes several tools to set restrictions, govern employees, and help keep sensitive information protected.
- Row Level Security allows user access control with permissions for specific rows of data, regardless of the application the user is operating
- Dynamic data masking lets you mask confidential data (fully, partially, or even randomly) from users who do not have permission to view it, allowing users to access approved databases and execute queries, but only seeing what they need to see
Dynamic data masking can ensure users don’t have access to sensitive data, such as Social Security numbers or health records, allowing you to remain compliant with regulations such as HIPAA, HITECH, and PCI. Database administrators can easily define rules within SQL Server 2016 to mask confidential information, but still provide customer service representatives with access to customer records so that they can better answer questions and offer assistance to customers.
Fpweb.net provides expert, USA-based, 24/7 Absolute Support® for Microsoft applications (including SQL 2016) on-premises, or in any cloud, to help businesses protect sensitive data and unburden their team so that they can focus on innovating. Fpweb.net has a 45-minute support request response time for clients on-premises, 30-minutes for clients hosted in a public cloud, and a six-minute response SLA for clients hosted in Fpweb’s private, secure cloud.