Our SharePoint Migration Tool: The MetaVis Migrator
SharePoint Migration. Everyone wants to find the best way to do it. So did we. So we did.
When speaking to potential or current customers about their 2007 SharePoint environments, one of their biggest concerns is the ability to upgrade to SharePoint 2013. As most of us know by now, there is no direct upgrade path from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013. If you are a regular reader of our blog and caught my SharePoint 2013 Upgrade Sneak Peak, I mentioned that “there are a number of third-party migration tools that can get you directly from 2007 to 2013 with minimal effort.”
Drum roll please…
Fpweb.net has partnered with MetaVis, and we’re now proud owners of MetaVis Migrator for SharePoint.
What does this mean?
We can now upgrade our customers from 2007 directly to 2013 in a fraction of the time it would take to perform a database-attach upgrade to 2010 and then do it all over again to 2013. Is your 2007 environment running on 32-bit hardware? Please take a second to imagine the nightmare of a migration that would be just to get to 2010, much less 2013. With MetaVis Migrator for SharePoint, you can rest assured with the ability to upgrade your environment with little time, little effort, and virtually zero excessive hardware costs.
As I will outline below, MetaVis Migrator for SharePoint has a very intriguing set of features. The most important feature for us, which can’t even easily be found on MetaVis’ website, is the ability to perform successful migrations without relying on a server-side installation on either the source or destination server(s). Although this is not necessarily an issue for current customers who want to upgrade, this is very important for potential customers who may be coming from an on-premises environment, or even another SharePoint hosting provider. All of Fpweb.net’s SharePoint hosting plans consist of dedicated virtual servers, but there are many hosting providers that provide multi-tenant environments (which means there is no access to a server to install or deploy any third-party migration tools or other solutions). MetaVis Migrator is an agentless tool that utilizes the existing SharePoint API to copy content.
Aside from the installation itself, there are a large number of features that are integrated with this software package. Some standout features include:
- Copy Content between Lists & Libraries
- Copy Content using CSV
- Copy Items with Attachments
- Include Versions
- Preserve Created / Modified Properties
- Copy Document Templates
- Preserver Approval Status
- Copy Document Sets
- Preserve Lookup Field Values
- Preserve Managed Metadata Field Values
- Re-Map Content Types & Fields
Copy Web Content
- Copy Web Part Pages
- Copy Web Parts
- Copy Publishing Pages
Copy Lists and Libraries
- Copy List Content Types
- Copy List Views
- Copy List Templates
- Change List Templates During Copy
- Copy One or More Sites
- Copy Site Columns
- Promote Sites to Site Collections
- Copy Site Collections
- Bulk Site Collections Copy
- Copy Site Templates
Security and Permissions
- Copy Permission Level
- Copy Site, List or Item Level Permissions
- Copy Permission Groups
- Compare Permissions between Sites and Lists
- Copy Site Look and Feel
- Copy Site Navigation
- Copy Master Pages
- Copy Alerts
- Copy SharePoint Designer and Out of Box Workflows
- Copy InfoPath Forms
*Full Feature list can be found on MetaVisTech.com
Aside from migrations, MetaVis Migrator for SharePoint has a vast set of tools that make managing your SharePoint environment painless. Below is a list of applications that are associated with the software package:
*Please note: Available applications are based on your subscription and licensing.
Aside from the functionality, there are a few other appealing aspects of MetaVis Migrator:
- The user interface is very clean, which makes it very easy to use. This eliminates confusion about any available options that are selected. Even if you are confused about an option, no worries. There are helpful pop-ups available that explain what that specific option does in greater detail.
- They incorporated a ribbon bar that closely matches that of any new Microsoft product, including…you guessed it…SharePoint.
- Phenomenal Support. Their support team is very impressive. Everyone I have spoken to has been very helpful and very knowledgeable about, not only the migration suite itself, but also SharePoint. They are also very responsive.
There are quite a few third-party SharePoint migration tools now available. All of which have their own sets of Pros and Cons. All of them will ultimately get you from point A to point B, but it’s how you get there that is important. Keep in mind, if you are migrating from 2007 to 2013, that is a jump of two major versions. Very rarely will the end product look exactly the same. It just isn’t possible. More often than not, you will need to update the format, resolve any broken links and update any site icons and photos. You will, however, have all your content on the new environment, which essentially is most important.
Depending on the environment, there will be times where a manual migration is the best option. Third-party migration tools, although suffice for most business, are not meant for everyone.
Please contact Fpweb.net today to discuss your migration options today!