Well, it’s been approximately one month since we announced the release of SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 2 on our blog, and as promised, I will take you through the standard installation process.
Many people become very nervous when it comes to installing any patches – not only service packs. Although understandable, this installation is very simple and we have not seen any after effects…yet. Just follow my simple step-by-step guide:
Downloading SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 2:
The first step in the installation process is to download the Service Pack from Microsoft.
Service Pack 2 for SharePoint 2010 Server can be downloaded here.
Service Pack 2 for SharePoint 2010 Foundation can be downloaded here.
Please be sure to read the details before downloading. The installation package is 437.2 MB for Server and 41.5 MB for Foundation, so ensure you have the necessary space available before downloading.
Unlike previous update packages for SharePoint 2010 Server, both the Foundation and Server editions have been combined in the same installation package. Finally, we don’t have to install the Foundation version first, then immediately turn around and install the Server version (assuming you are running the Server edition). Needless to say, only the Foundation package is necessary for environments running Foundation.
The Installation of SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 2:
Once the installation package is downloaded, we can begin the install process. As with any other SharePoint patch, this must be installed on every server in your SharePoint farm. This goes for Web Front End servers and Application servers, if applicable. If you are only running a single SharePoint server in your farm, this will be very quick for you.
Let’s get started…
- From your SharePoint server, browse to the file location of your download.
- Double-click the oserversp2010-kb2687453-fullfile-x64-en-us.exe (assuming you kept the default filename).
- Depending on your server security settings, you may or may not be greeted with the following Open File – Security Warning message:
- Select Run.
- From the Service Pack 2 for Microsoft SharePoint 2010 (KB2687453) 64-Bit Edition window, be sure to select the checkbox next to Click here to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
- Click Continue.
- This will start the installation process and you will see the following progress window until the process is completed.*Please note: you will see a few windows similar to the above that will appear and disappear. The majority of the process will display the above message: Please wait while the update is installed. When the installation is completed you will see this message:
- Click OK.
Repeat steps 1 through 8 on all SharePoint Servers. Once all servers have the Service Pack 2 bits installed, this does not mean the SharePoint farm is upgraded yet. To actually upgrade the schema, you must run the SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard. This needs to also be done on each server, but you can only do one server at a time.
Running the SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard:
- From your SharePoint server, browse to Start > All Programs > Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products > SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard. Click to Open.
- You will immediately know if the Service Pack installation was successful based on the message you will see on the Configuration Wizard. Notice the message “This wizard will upgrade SharePoint Products”, which differs from the normal message of “This wizard will help you repair SharePoint Products. Click Next to continue or Cancel to exit the wizard…”
- Click Next.
- You will then see a warning message letting you know that a few services will be restarted doing this upgrade process. Click Yes. Please note that this will cause the SharePoint site to be unavailable throughout the process.
- At the Completing the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard screen, click Next.
- This will run through the upgrade sequence. When the wizard is completed. Click Finish.
Repeat steps 1 through 6 on all SharePoint servers.
The installation is now completed and your farm has been upgraded.
Verify Installation for SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 2:
Now that you have successfully installed Service Pack 2 for SharePoint 2010, you need to verify the version number to be absolutely certain that the installation was successful. There are a number of ways to verify the version you are running, but this is the easiest way, in my opinion.
- Browse to Central Administration from any SharePoint server. Start > All Programs > Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products > SharePoint 2010 Central Administration.
- From the Central Administration home page, select Manage Servers in this Farm from the System Settings section.
- From the Servers in Farm page, under the Farm Information section, you will see the Configuration Database Version. This should read 14.0.7015.1000. That version number tells us that this has been successfully upgrade to SP2.