Recently, one of long-time SharePoint hosting customers was using Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a Windows 2008 32-bit server. He came to us and requested an additional 2 GB of memory. As you may be aware, 32-bit operating systems will only recognize up to 4 GB. Needless to say, we had to migrate this customer from his current 32-bit server to a nice new shiny 64-bit edition.
The entire migration went fairly smoothly (which is rarely the case for most migrations). In this particular situation, we migrated using the database detach, database attach method. I set up WSS 3.0 from scratch on the new server, attached the content database to the new web application, and BAM! All of his data was there (except for a few third-party web parts that will need to be reinstalled). During our QA process, we attempted to create a new user from the site itself.
And that’s where the trouble started …
To create a new user, we entered an email address and display name. It would sit there for a few seconds and think about things, while I would patiently wait for it to successfully create the user. Or so I thought, because I soon received the following error message:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007054B)
I then attempted to create a new user manually through Active Directory, which just so happens to be hosted on this same server (shh…don’t tell best practices). I created a new user, went out to the site and attempted to add that new user to the site. I was unable to resolve the new user, but I could find users that were already in AD previously, as shown below:
*Notice the underlined name was correctly resolved.
Searching through the Windows Event Viewer, I didn’t see too much of anything relating to the issue. I used the fancy ULS Viewer, which can be downloaded here. I ran ULS as I tried to create the user. When the error appeared, I immediately stopped it and searched through the logs. The only relative log in the list read:
#1e0046: Adding user “username” to OU “WSS” in domain “DOMAIN.local FAILED with HRESULT -2147023541?
That error appeared to have the correct information as the username, OU and the domain. After reading this Microsoft KB article, it appeared that the domain name was entered incorrectly. After installing WSS and running the Configuration Wizard for the first time, you are required to specify the domain and the OU you would like the new users to be added to. When I entered this information, I entered the domain name as “DOMAIN.local” when it should have been “DOMAIN”. WSS likes it better if you use the NetBIOS name rather than the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name).
At this point, I was starting to think I needed to re-install WSS and basically start the process over again. One of my colleagues, however, filled me in on how to re-create the ConfigDB by using the following set of commands:
- stsadm -o unextendvs -url https://domainurl.com
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN>stsadm -o setconfigdb -ds 01ServerName -dn WSS_Config2 -adcreation -addomain DOMAIN -adou WSS -farmuser DOMAIN\User -farmpassword PASSWORD
After running those commands, all that needs to be done is re-run the Configuration Wizard, recreate the Web Application and re-add the content database to the web application. Although there were a few steps I had to do over, it was much easier than uninstalling WSS and reinstalling. A time saver indeed.
Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions and thanks for reading!